At Macintyres, we’ve helped thousands of happy couples find their dream engagement ring, wedding rings and eternity ring. So it’s no surprise that we have a soft spot for the most romantic day of the year – Valentine’s Day! Here are 10 fun facts that have us counting the days until February 14th.
1. Verona, the city in Italy where Romeo and Juliet lived, receives around 1000 letters every Valentine’s Day addressed to Juliet.
2. Approximately 3% of pet owners buy Valentine’s Day gifts for their pets. We love celebrating our furry friends, but make sure to save the chocolates and diamonds for yourself 😉
3. If you’re single this Valentine’s Day, why not celebrate Finnish-style? February 14th in Finland is Ystävänpäivä, which translates to “Friend’s Day.”
4. Love is good for you! Holding hands and cuddling is proven to alleviate stress and reduce physical pain. In fact, even looking at a photograph of your loved one can have these positive effects.
5. Move over, Saint Valentine! On January 25th, the Welsh celebrate Saint Dwynwen, the Welsh patron saint of lovers.
6. Over 140 million cards are exchanged every year on Valentine’s Day! The only holiday with more cards exchanged is Christmas.
7. South Korea celebrates three versions of Valentine’s Day! On February 14th, the women give men chocolates and sweets. On March 14th, known as “White Day,” the tables are turned and men buy treats for the women. And on April 14th, known as “Black Day,” singles drown their sorrows by eating a black noodle dish called “jjajangmyeon.”
8. Does your loved one give you butterflies? When someone makes you nervous, it activates your fight-or-flight response and releases floods of adrenaline. Many people describe this sensation as butterflies flitting around their tummy.
9. Instead of red roses, the people of Denmark give their Valentines pressed white flowers called “snowdrops.”
10. Valentine’s Day is a popular and romantic day to pop the question! A survey in the United States found that approximately 6 million couples became engaged on February 14th, 2013.
From everyone at Macintyres, we hope you have a very romantic Valentine’s Day – one filled with lots of sparkle and hopefully no black noodle dishes!